Saturday, April 5, 2014

You're What?

I have to laugh whenever I tell someone that I’ve changed my eating habits to vegetarian. So many seem to say the same thing and I don’t blame them. I was always skeptical of vegan and vegetarian menus, too. So it’s fun to see myself in them and have a laugh at their reactions.

Food is a comfort for me, sometimes, I admit. In the past, whenever I have been really stressed out I wouldn’t eat for half the day, then I would become suddenly famished and eat whatever I could find or go get fast food because it’s quick and filling. Or sometimes I would just eat because I was bored.

When your body craves junk, it’s a huge sign that you are not eating well and probably should change your habits. And sometimes those habits are not easy because of things such as:
-being addicted to something such as caffeine
-becoming used to specific foods and the feeling they give us (and thus feeling a sort of “craving” for them)
-we have grown up with certain ways of eating and schedules, such as “cleaning your plate” or only having 3 meals per day or not wasting anything you have taken
-we have been conditioned by marketing or misinformation that we should eat certain foods, that they are good for us, and that we can’t get certain nutrition any other way
-loving a particular food so much that we cannot give it up, even though it is unhealthy for us.

The list goes on, of course, but these are just a few things to think about.

Going vegetarian/vegan wasn’t an easy decision. Lee and I have been on a downward spiral for some time over the years; eating out a lot, snacking late at night, eating seconds, taking bigger portions than we need, eating in front of the TV - many bad decisions regarding food. Our bodies have already started to repel some of those things naturally; we have become lactose intolerant and can’t eat ice cream or any milk products much any more. But this wasn’t enough.

Last year we participated in a health clinic at Lee’s work. Both he and I had some eye-opening news.

Lee’s blood pressure was high and he was at risk for quite a few illnesses. His cholesterol was really high as well.

My blood work came back with mixed results. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my liver count was good and that a couple other things were great for someone my age. But I was at-risk for diabetes, my blood pressure was climbing, although not alarming yet, and a few other numbers had me worried that I needed to change.

As I have begun to study health and find out information on what really makes our bodies tick, I have had to re-learn things and change my view. Without an accepting attitude and a willingness to change, I have started to understand, I will die an early and uncomfortable death. Heart disease scares me as much as cancer does, and if there is something I can do to prevent it, I am now ready to say that I am willing to do it.

Yes, I love bacon. Meat is great and has a great place in my diet. But it is also not a necessity to my diet and I could keep eating what I want and loving the food and the way it tastes so good but that was not going to change how my body felt like it was falling apart from the inside out. In fact, as I have found out, it is actually contributing to my decline in health and increase in pain.

The other choice was to change my diet to something healthy (although it sounded boring at first), start exercising to keep my muscles and joints in shape (and I am not a big fan of working out) and change some lazy habits that were only making things worse.

Lee and our little grandson Haden.
And then something else happened: we became grandparents. We have a sweet little 7 month old grandson and another one due next month. When I look into that beautiful face and eyes, I realize that although I may be “old” enough to be a grandma, I wasn’t old enough to be feeling so ill and immobile because of my poor choices. I am 49 and feel like I’m 89! That’s just not right.

So when some people laugh about my change in eating, I just smile on the outside because I understand. I thought it was crazy, too. But I cry a little on the inside because I know that a few of them don’t understand that this could save them. There is a possibility that they could stop taking pills for high blood pressure or other illnesses simply by giving up a few items of food that they think are so essential!

I would much rather enjoy my grandchildren than eat a piece of bacon. After all, I gave up a scar-free, slim body and went through hours and months of pain and discomfort to get my children here, would I not give up a few things for my grandchildren as well?

So when I say I am vegan, I am not saying that I am simply “giving up meat,” but I am saying I love my family enough to give up a few things in order to live more fully for them.

And if you are following this blog for the same or similar reasons, I am here to help and encourage you. Let’s get healthy together!

Hugs and cheers!
Denise

Post note: I tried the Coconut Key Lime Pie and it is sooooooo good! Expensive to make, but so worth it! I used a regular almond crust instead of the dates and lime one, but it was very decadent and delicious. Even my teenage boys loved it!


Go to chefmamanise.blogspot.com for today’s recipes. See ya there!

No comments:

Post a Comment